March 01, 2014

More problems with my Ileostomy

On Feb. 11th my ileostomy decided to prolapse - it telescoped down into my bag about 6", had to go to the ER for them to push it back in.  It happened again on the 15th this time it prolapsed 10", I had to go to the ER so they could push it back into the stoma had to stay in the hospital both times to be watched.  I was told to make sure I see my doctor on the 20th.

My doctor scheduled surgery for the next day - emergency surgery was 2/21/14.  

This surgery was probably the hardest one on me in a long time.

Thanks to my Hypo-motility issues Lilly (is my ileostomy's name) can not tolerate any narcotics which causes my intestines to completely shut down, so I can only use Tylenol, ibuprofen and now Tramadol. I have to toggle between these 3 meds every 4hrs just to stay at a 4 level. It is really the pits when you can't have stronger meds to take the pain away.

Surgery Type - my doctor went in via laparoscopy very small incisions to look around and found that there was too much play with my intestines. Her only choice was to open me up - I do have a small 2" incision, a couple of small ones and the open one is only 7" long, I heard of others having a much longer incision.

You're probably wondering why the open incision? - The reason in my case is because with all my many stomach surgeries I have had done were via laparoscopy so I have very little scar tissue and/or adhesion's to hold my intestines from moving, so by doing an open incision besides tacking up the intestines I'll also get some natural scaring which can also have a negative effect - too much scar tissue can also cause obstructions, one just can't win.

I am on a full liquid diet for 7 to 10 more days, then I will go on a low residue diet again - which is not diabetic friendly - To keep things moving along, I am drinking like there is no tomorrow and taking Reglan and Miralax to aide in my stool clearance.

Lilly's open mouth or as we refer to it as the opening of the stoma has shifted since surgery and it is NOT in a good spot - due to all the swelling I got from this surgery on the left side of Lilly, her opening in now sitting flush with my skin at the very lower right edge of my wafer. The left side Lilly is standing out about 1 + 1/2" so to better explain this it is like a teeter totter. Left side way up, opening way down. So I am asking for prayers that in it's shrinking it levels out.

You might be wondering why didn't the doctor put the hole in the middle? She did but 2 days later with the increased swelling in my stomach and stoma, Lilly shifted. Trust me my doctor was shocked when she saw me on Monday. I do have a problem with this situation - if Lilly doesn't correct herself while I am healing my doctor informed me I will be facing another revision once I am healed. I need to catch a break this surgery business is the pits. I have had 4 surgeries for my permanent ileostomy in 7 months.

Thanks everyone for all you're love, support and continued prayers I would not be getting through all this without you. Truly I can feel the love that all of you send my way, I feel so blessed.

Sorry so long I tried to explain the surgery the best way I could. Debbie

1 comment:

Colleen said...

You've been through so much, Debbie! Praying you won't need any more surgeries! I hope Lilly starts behaving!! HUGS!!