February 06, 2009

Possible Answers

I wasn't sure how to title this blog. I have been going through many tests to get an answer to why I am having so much problems functioning and breathing, well we think we now know the reason behind it - my thoracic diaphragm.

Let me try to explain - a test they did a week ago called a fluoroscopy - tests how the thoracic diaphragm moves up and down when one breathes, they also did the pulmonary function test (PFT) to see how I breath in and out. The PFT showed mild airway problems in the lungs.

The Phrenic Nerve arises from the 3rd, 4th and the 5th cervical spinal nerves - which works the diaphragm. Following so far? The test showed my diaphragm is not working properly. It could be a direct link to the pinched nerves in my neck. Lord we are praying it is the answer we have been looking for. It has been a long 16 months.

My neck surgery might be a blessing in disguise because I have many pinched nerves in my cervical starting at the 4th level down. The thought is - if they free up the nerves in my neck my diaphragm might work better, then my breathing will get better, as well as my arms and hands.

My PH Dr wants to have an EMG done of the chest and diaphragm to see why it is not moving up and down. Hopefully this test can be done while I am in the hospital. If not I'll have to go back to the PH dr to have it done. They will call me on Monday to let me know what's next.

Thanks for being patient with me in my postings, I am told that my hands will get better with time after the surgery. Only a few days left. Thanks for reading. Love Deb

No comments: